What is “praying in the Holy Spirit?”
(with, or led by the Spirit?)
Praying in the Spirit is…
- ASSURANCE. Praying accepted and secure in relationship to Christ, as a fully vested son or daughter of God.
- The Holy Spirit is “Another Helper” (NIV, “Advocate”)
The Holy Spirit within us seeks to “floodlight” Jesus Himself, and everything that Jesus has to say to us in this moment and for the future.
- “Fully vested”
- Agreement. Praying in the Spirit is praying out of a life in full agreement with or by what is created or inspired by the Holy Spirit…
- Truth: John 14:16-17, 26; 16:5-15; Acts 5:1-11; 1 Timothy 4:1; Hebrews 3:7-9; James 4:1-5; 1 Peter 1:10-12; 2 Peter 1:19-21; 1 John 4:1-6; Revelation 2:11,29; 3:22; 22:17
- Fellowship of love: 1 Corinthians 3:16-17; Ephesians 2:17-22; 4:1-7, 25-32
- Gifting (grace): Romans 5:5; 15:13; 1 Corinthians 12:1-13; Ephesians 5:17-21; Zechariah 4:6-7
- Praying: Romans 8:15-17, 26-30; Galatians 4:6-7; Ephesians 3:14-20; 6:17-20
Prayer in the Spirit is a “Means of Grace” (how God’s gift becomes our life). The presence of the Spirit in prayer is made evident when we pray – praying out the works of grace He is pouring into our lives over a lifetime.
- Availability. Praying that listens for His voice and humbly responds to His conviction and inspiration.
Every aspect of Jesus’ life as the Son of Man (enduring temptation, praying, teaching his disciples, confronting deception and dishonesty…) was directed, empowered and led forward by the Holy Spirit. So, we too “breathe by grace” – breathing in by His gift, breathing out the glory of His Name over a lifetime…
Prayer helps to create a pathway or a doorway by which the grace of God enters our life.
Video: Holy Spirit – Keith Getty | Stuart Townend
Verse 1 / Holy Spirit living Breath of God / Breathe new life into my willing soul / Let the presence of the risen Lord / Come renew my heart and make me whole / Cause Your word to come alive in me / Give me faith for what I cannot see / Give me passion for Your purity / Holy Spirit breathe new life in me
Verse 2 / Holy Spirit come abide within / May Your joy be seen in all I do / Love enough to cover ev’ry sin / In each thought and deed and attitude / Kindness to the greatest and the least / Gentleness that sows the path of peace / Turn my strivings into works of grace / Breath of God show Christ in all I do
Verse 3 / Holy Spirit from creation’s birth / Giving life to all that God has made / Show Your power once again on earth / Cause Your church to hunger for Your ways / Let the fragrance of our pray’rs arise / Lead us on the road of sacrifice / That in unity the face of Christ / May be clear for all the world to see
Response to Teaching
- Get to know the Holy Spirit…
We have listed many Scriptures above so that you could take time to read through them slowly and carefully to discover more about who the Holy Spirit is in your life.
- Attend a virtual group discussion of the video lesson on Wednesday at 10 A.M. (30-45 minutes).
Group Discussion Questions:
(1) What questions do you have concerning this week’s teaching?
(2) What insights do you have from today’s presentation?
(3) How would you answer the key question(s) answered in the lesson?
(4) What story from your own life could illustrate this week’s teaching?
- Read the blog posted on Wednesday and complete at least one of any activities listed there.
- Share your thoughts and experiences.
- Please let the David and Julia Ewert know when you have completed an activity (firstname.lastname@example.org), and what you found meaningful in the exercise.
- When inspired to do so, compose a prayer to share with the school that we can publish online with the blog. It can be in any form you choose (prose, poetry, music, picture, psalm, etc.).